About FLAG

My photo
Educate, Enrich and Empower underprivileged girls in the Philippines

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Another baby

Recently I was told by our director that Carol is going to have a baby. Again.  She has 5 children and can barely feed them.  She is one of millions of moms in the Philippines who are uneducated, have lost hope but continue to have kids because they can’t say no to their husbands or no access to proper family planning. Also, part of the Catholic faith is against contraceptives. I could go on about this but I feel it is a touchy subject.  I respect all opinions so please feel free to voice them.  

Two of her kids, Irysh and Jessel are with F.L.A.G.  Irysh, who is now ready to go to Grade 1 in June, is doing very well in school.  Jessel, who have shown an enormous improvement, is in Grade 1 now and ready to go to Grade 2.  We are so happy for both of them.  I see the great future for these 2 girls! I hope Carol feels very proud of her kids.


Jessel 2010

Irysh 2010

Carol is also a member of our Project Super Mom initiative where we have given her a small loan to start a food vendor business.  All she has to do is to grow her business, pay back to loan to F.L.A.G with no interest and no deadline.  One thing that is slowing Carol down is having this new baby. 

She asked the question – “Can Monica and Jon adopt my baby?”
How can I take this baby away from her mother?  I could never do that.  But on the other hand, what kind of future will this baby have? This baby will soon be part of F.L.A.G.  But how can I make the parents understand?


It is easy for us to give the advice coming from where we are.   I’m sure it is hard for a mother to have to think to give up her child.  I don’t know what to say but I will help in the best way I can. 


Thank you for stopping by,

 Hugs,

Monica
Follow us on twitter.com/flagphil

5 comments:

Spanish Pinay said...

This is definitely a touchy subjecct :( I know many similar cases (family members and relatives) and sometimes it can get frustrating that we want to help but at the same we also want them to learn be more aware of the consequences of this kind of situations.

Spanish Pinay

Barbara said...

It's sad sometimes when we see this sort of thing happen. Sadly, it happens all over the world and your heart breaks for that unborn child.

Susan said...

Gosh.
Maybe this is the baby that was meant for you guys. WE must talk further about this.
So, so hard.

Becky Jane said...

This is such a sensitive subject. On the other hand, thinking about my daughter who can't have children and would love to adopt again, I'm especially grateful for birth moms.

likeschocolate said...

Maybe you could put up a paypal button and ask for donations to help this mother. Thankfully, my financial situation is different so I don't have to make such a decision. I think it is such a complex matter of the heart that it is hard to make a judgement. I am sure many of your readers would love to help out this woman.